Friday, July 16, 2010

Things I've learned about geese

The geese have become a bit of a pain around here lately. Matt and I have had to show some great restraint in not thrashing them some days. They have become the bullys of the farm as of late and have been getting into everything. They are just smart enough to get into trouble but not much more. We have had to put a baby gate up in the porch to keep them out of the cat food (which they love to eat, who know?) and today I have had to chase them out of the chicken coop and pen three time so far. Most of the cats have learned to stay away from them as the geese will try to take a chunk out of them at any chance they get. They don't seem to like Liam very much but thankfully for them they keep there distance even if they do make a big fuss about him being out in the yard. I'm sure they are eating there fill of grass but it really dose not seam to be making a dent in the yard though you would never know it by the amount of manure they are leaving everywhere.

I don't want to say that there days are numbered because I'm not sure what if anything I want to do about them. One option is to sell them now and try to make my investment back. Another is to wait till around Christmas and add them to the freezer, but I do have people asking to buy eggs in the spring if they start laying. I have read that if you don't have a gander then they might not lay at all and I'm not sure what sex are geese are because I have not had the guts to catch and hold one long enough to find out. For all I know they could be all ganders; then i'm really out of luck. Someone said that if they have brown eyes then they're female and blue eyes means males but they all have brown eyes so I don't know if that means all girls or nothing at all.

I had originally planed to put some in the freezer (for us or to sell) and keep the rest to breed for the spring.

At this point I'm not sure what is going to come first: The freezer or the eggs. I think we will have to wait and see if we can put up with there nastiness. The chance to sell them will be good for some time and I think we will have to get creative as to how to handle them before I give up.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment